GRANDMA'S PIE CRUST
BASIC PIE CRUST
2-½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt or use 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1 Tbsp. sugar, optional
1 c. very cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 sticks)
4 to 8 Tbsp. ICE water
Method Using Food Processor
Method Making By Hand
If Making Making Double Pie Crust
If making a double crust pie, do not crimp edges yet. Roll out second dough disc, fill pie then top with second dough round. Trim the edges then crimp.
Rolling Out Dough
How to Pre-Bake a Crust for a Single-Crust Pie (quiches, custard, and cream pies)
- Oven temperature and bake time for double crust pies will vary depending on the pie recipe you plan to follow.
- Remove half of dough from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13-inch (1/8-inch thick) circle.
- Check for size by inverting pie dish over dough round.
- Look for a 1-inch edge around the pie dish.
- Carefully press the dough into the dish.
- Spoon the pie filling into pie crust.
- Roll out second half of dough then top pie.
- Use a knife or pair of kitchen scissors to trim dough to within 3/4-inch of the edge of the dish.
- Fold edges of top crust underneath edges of bottom crust, pressing the edge to seal it so that it creates a thicker, 1/4-inch border that rests on the lip of the dish.
- Then, crimp edges by pressing the pointer finger of one hand against the edge of the dough from the inside of the dish while gently pressing with two knuckles of the other hand from the outside.
- Refrigerate pie at least 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
- Just before baking, make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream together in a small bowl.
- Use a pastry brush to brush over the top crust.
- Then, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Then, cut 3 to 4 slits in top of pie.
- Bake as directed by the specific recipe you are following.
- Make an egg wash by whisking one egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cream in a small bowl.
- Then, remove rice, beans or pie weights and foil from pie crust.
- Brush the bottom and sides of the crust with egg wash.
- Bake until egg wash is dry and shiny, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool crust completely before filling.